Live Chat with Tek representatives. Available 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM CET.
PA4000 Power Analyzer, Datasheet
The products on this datasheet are no longer being sold by Tektronix. Contact Technical Support for alternative products View Tektronix Encore for used test equipment Check support and warranty status for these products Find more support information for these products
Tektronix PA4000 Power Analyzers deliver highly accurate, multi-channel power, energy, and efficiency measurements. Precisely-matched inputs, unique Spiral Shunt™ technology, and advanced signal processing deliver high accuracy even with highly modulated waveforms and crest factors as high as 10. The versatile PA4000 offers comprehensive power measurements. Dual current shunts provide optimal resolution from microwatts to kilowatts. Harmonics analysis up to the 100thharmonic, and motor analysis with torque and speed inputs are included in the standard instrument. Every PA4000 comes with multiple PC interfaces, PC software, and USB flash drive support to help you collect and analyze data.
1 to 4 Input Modules allows several configurations to match your application
High measurement accuracy of 0.01% (basic voltage & current accuracy) for demanding test requirements
Dual internal current shunts for each module maximize accuracy for high- and low-current measurements
Unique Spiral ShuntTMdesign maintains stability over variations in current, temperature, etc. (patent applied for)
Proprietary frequency detection algorithms ensure rock-solid frequency tracking even on noisy waveforms
Application-specific test modes simplify instrument setup and reduce the likelihood of user error
Easy data export to USB flash drive or remote PC software, for reporting and/or remote control
- Many standard features such as comm ports and harmonic analysis eliminate costly upgrade options
Electric and hybrid vehicle
Flexible voltage and current input choices to fit your application
The PA4000 is the only instrument of its kind to feature both high- and low-range internal current shunts in each input module. The 30-Amp shunt is perfect for many applications and can accept up to 200 A peak, but for measuring low-current devices, the 1 A shunt provides increased resolution and accuracy for measurements down into the microamp range. For measuring currents over 30 Amps, a selection of matching external current transducers are available in several styles, including high-accuracy transducers up to 1000 A.
The PA4000's voltage inputs can accept up to 600 VRMS, 2000 Vpeak, continuous.
PA4000 Rear Panel - Input Modules on a 3-channel instrument
Unique Spiral Shunt™ technology (patent applied for)
The PA4000 employs an innovative Spiral Shunt design that ensures stable, linear response over a wide range of input current levels, ambient temperatures, crest factors, and other variables. This new design is superior to other shunt technologies and contributes to the instrument's reliable accuracy and repeatability over a wide range of signal conditions common in today's power conversion technologies. The spiral construction not only minimizes stray inductance (for optimum high frequency performance) but also provides for high overload capability and improved thermal stability.
Spiral Shunt for 30 A input
Spiral Shunt for 1 A input
Application-specific test modes
Some applications require special instrument settings to ensure proper measurements. The PA4000 simplifies setup for these applications by automatically choosing instrument settings and parameters that are optimized for each type of measurement application, resulting in more reliable measurement results with less opportunity for user setup error.
Selection of application-specific test modes.
PWM motor drive mode
PWM motor mode is designed to overcome the difficulties associated with making measurements on the complex waveforms commonly found on the motor drives. High frequency sampling is combined with digital filtering to reject the carrier frequency and extract the motor frequency while still using prefiltered data for power parameters
Standby power mode
Driven by consumer demand and energy efficiency regulations (such as ENERGY STAR), there is an ever-increasing need to measure power consumption of products while they are in standby mode. One of the most widely used standards for measurement is IEC 62301. Part of this standard requires the measurement of power over a prolonged period of time without missing any short duration power events. The PA4000 standby power mode provides continuous sampling of voltage and current to produce an accurate Watts measurement over the user specified period.
Ballast mode synchronizes measurements for highly modulated electronic ballast waveforms. In modern electronic lighting ballasts, it is often difficult to make accurate measurements because the output signals are high frequency waveforms that are heavily modulated by the power frequency. Ballast mode provides a way of locking the measurement period to the power frequency.
Integrator mode is used to provide measurements for determining energy consumption (Watt-hours, Ampere-hours, etc.). In addition, for certain parameters, average values are also available.
PWRVIEW PC software for the PA4000 Power Analyzers
PWRVIEW is a supporting software application for Windows PCs that compliments and extends the functionality of the PA4000. PWRVIEW enables you to do the following:
- Communicate with PA4000 over any of the instrument's comm ports
- Change instrument settings remotely
- Transfer, view, and save measurement data in real-time from the instrument, including waveforms, harmonic bar charts, and plots
- Log measurement data over a period of time
- Communicate with and download data from multiple PA4000 instruments simultaneously
- Create formulae for the calculation of power conversion efficiency and other values
- Export measurement data to .csv format for import into other applications
- Automate instrument setup, data collection, and report generation for key applications with just a few clicks, using wizard-driven interfaces
- Perform automated full compliance testing for Low Power Standby per IEC62301, Edition 2
- Other test automation will be added with future releases
Standard harmonics analysis
The PA4000 features harmonics analysis to the 100thharmonic as a standard feature. Harmonics, THD, and related measurements can all be analyzed simultaneously with other power parameters. Accurate measurement of harmonic amplitude, phase, and harmonic power are included, which are critical to the analysis of losses in rotating machinery.
Harmonics bar chart display mode.
Standard communication ports
The PA4000 comes standard with USB, Ethernet, and RS-232 communication ports, plus a front-mounted USB port for data export to a flash drive. GPIB is available as a factory-installed option.
PA4000 rear panel, with communication ports
All specifications are guaranteed unless noted otherwise.
All measurements taken at 1 MHz with a sample rate of 1 Megasample/second.
Measurement accuracy specifications are valid up to a Crest Factor of 10.
The recommended calibration interval is one year.
- Available measurements
VRMS - Volts RMS VDF - Volts Distortion Factor ARMS - Amps RMS VTIF - Volts Telephone Influence Factor WATT - Watts ATHD - Amps Total Harmonic Distortion VA - Volt-Amps ADF - Amps Distortion Factor VAR - Volt-Amps Reactive ATIF - Amps Telephone Influence Factor FRQ - Frequency VF - Fundamental Volts rms PF - Power factor AF - Fundamental Amps rms VPK+ - Volts peak (positive) IMP - Impedance VPK- - Volts peak (negative) RES - Resistance APK+ - Amps peak (positive) REA - Reactance APK- - Amps peak (negative) HR - Integrator time VDC - Volts DC WHR - Watt Hours ADC - Amps DC VAH - VA Hours VRMN - Volts rectified mean VRH - VAr Hours ARMN - Amps rectified mean AHR - Amp Hours VCF - Voltage crest factor WAV - Average Watts ACF - Current crest factor PFAV - Average Power Factor VTHD - Volts Total Harmonic Distortion CVAR - Correction VArs
- Voltage and current ranges
- Voltage ranges
- 2000 Vpeak, 600 Vpeak, 500 Vpeak, 200 Vpeak, 100 Vpeak, 50 Vpeak, 20 Vpeak, 10 Vpeak, 5 Vpeak, 2 Vpeak
- Current ranges (30 A shunt)
- 200 Apeak, 100 Apeak, 50 Apeak, 20 Apeak, 10 Apeak, 5 Apeak, 2 Apeak, 1 Apeak, 0.5 Apeak, 0.2 Apeak, 0.1 Apeak
- Current ranges (1 A shunt)
- 5 Apeak, 2.5 Apeak, 1.25 Apeak, 0.5 Apeak, 0.25 Apeak, 0.125 Apeak, 0.05 Apeak, 0.025 Apeak, 0.0125 Apeak, 0.005 Apeak, 0.0025 Apeak
- Current ranges (external shunt)
- 3 Vpeak, 1.5 Vpeak, 0.75 Vpeak, 0.3 Vpeak, 0.15 Vpeak, 0.075 Vpeak, 0.03 Vpeak, 0.015 Vpeak, 0.0075 Vpeak, 0.003 Vpeak, 0.0015 Vpeak
- Measurement accuracy - voltage and current
- Voltage accuracy, VRMS ( 45 Hz - 850 Hz ) 1
- ± 0.01% of Reading ± 0.04% of Range
- Voltage accuracy, VRMS ( 10 Hz - 45 Hz, 850 Hz - 1 MHz )
± 0.05% of Reading ± 0.05% of Range ± (0.02*F)% of Reading ± 0.02 V (typical)
- Voltage accuracy, DC
- ± 0.05% of Reading ± 0.1% of Range ± 0.05 V
- Voltage accuracy, Vrmn
- ± 0.2% of Reading ± 0.1% of Range ± 0.1 V
- Effect of common mode (typical)
600 V, 60 Hz < 10 mV
100 V, 100 kHz < 50 mV
- Current accuracy, ARMS ( 45 Hz - 850 Hz ) 1
± 0.01% of Reading ± 0.04% of Range
- Current accuracy, ARMS ( 10 Hz - 45 Hz, 850 Hz - 1 MHz )
± 0.05% of Reading ± 0.05% of Range ± (0.02*F)% of Reading ± (20 µV/Zext) (typical)
- Current accuracy, DC
± 0.05% of Reading ± 0.1% of Range ± (50 µV/Zext)
- Current accuracy, Armn
± 0.2% of Reading ± 0.1% of Range ± (100 µV/Zext)
1These specifications apply under the following conditions:
- Volts = 10 V range or higher
- 30 A shunt = 0.5 A range or higher
- 1 A shunt = 0.025 A range or higher
- Signal > 30% of range
- Watts accuracy @ PF = 1
- Measurement accuracy - power
- Measurement accuracy - Harmonic magnitude and phase 1
- Voltage harmonics (45 Hz - 850 Hz) (typical for 10 Hz to 45 Hz and 850 Hz to 1 MHz)
- ± 0.08% of Reading ± 0.08% of Range ± (0.02*F)% of Reading ± 0.02 V
- Voltage harmonics phase (45 Hz - 850 Hz) (typical for 10 Hz to 45 Hz and 850 Hz to 1 MHz)
- ± 0.025 ± [ 0.005 * Vrange / Vreading )] ± (0.1 / Vrange) ± ( 0.002 *F )
- Current harmonics (45 Hz - 850 Hz) (typical for 10 Hz to 45 Hz and 850 Hz to 1 MHz)
- ± 0.08% of Reading ± 0.08% of Range ± (0.02*F)% of Reading ± (20 µV /Zext)
- Current harmonics phase (45 Hz - 850 Hz) (typical for 10 Hz to 45 Hz and 850 Hz to 1 MHz)
- ± 0.025 ± [0.005 * Arange / Areading)] ± (0.001 / Arange * Zext)) ± (0.002 *F)
1F is the frequency measured in kHz. In the case of harmonics, F is the harmonic frequency.
Zextis the shunt impedance (0.6 Ω for 1 A shunt, 9.375 mΩ for 30 A shunt). It is assumed that the waveform measured is a sine wave.
Measurement conditions during calibration: Instrument default settings unless otherwise stated, Sine waves applied to V and I inputs, 30 minute warm-up, Temperature 23 °C ±5 °C.
Height 13.2 cm. 5.2 in. Width 42 cm. 16.5 in. Depth 31 cm. 12.5 in.
Net (without lead set) 8.8 kg 19.5 lb.
Storage -20 ○ C to +60 ○ C Operating 0 ○ C to +40 ○ C
A PA4000 must be ordered with one of the following options:
- Opt. 1CH
- One input module installed
- Opt. 2CH
- Two input modules installed
- Opt. 3CH
- Three input modules installed
- Opt. 4CH
- Four input modules installed
- Opt. GPIB
- GPIB Interface
- Opt. 15V
- Power Output for External Current Transducers
- Language options
- No Language Options - Standard documentation CD includes user manual in English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, and Russian.
Power cord options
- Opt. A0
- North America power plug (115 V, 60 Hz)
- Opt. A1
- Universal Euro power plug (220 V, 50 Hz)
- Opt. A2
- United Kingdom power plug (240 V, 50 Hz)
- Opt. A3
- Australia power plug (240 V, 50 Hz)
- Opt. A4
- North America power plug (240 V, 50 Hz)
- Opt. A5
- Switzerland power plug (220 V, 50 Hz)
- Opt. A6
- Japan power plug (100 V, 50/60 Hz)
- Opt. A10
- China power plug (50 Hz)
- Opt. A11
- India power plug (50 Hz)
- Opt. A12
- Brazil power plug (60 Hz)
- Opt. A99
- No power cord
- Opt. C3
- Calibration Service 3 Years
- Opt. C5
- Calibration Service 5 Years
- Opt. D1
- Calibration Data Report
- Opt. D3
- Calibration Data Report 3 Years (with Opt. C3)
- Opt. D5
- Calibration Data Report 5 Years (with Opt. C5)
- Opt. G3
- Complete Care 3 Years (includes loaner, scheduled calibration, and more)
- Opt. G5
- Complete Care 5 Years (includes loaner, scheduled calibration, and more)
- Fixed-core current transducer, AC/DC, high accuracy, up to 60 A
- Fixed-core current transducer, AC/DC, high accuracy, up to 200 A
- Fixed-core current transducer, AC/DC, high accuracy, up to 400 A
- Fixed-core current transducer, AC/DC, high accuracy, up to 1000 A
- Fixed-core current transducer, AC/DC, Hall effect, up to 100 A
- Fixed-core current transducer, AC/DC, Hall effect, up to 200 A
- Fixed-core current transducer, AC/DC, Hall effect, up to 500 A
- Fixed-core current transducer, AC/DC, Hall effect, up to 1000 A
- Current clamp, 1 A - 200 A, for Tektronix Power Analyzers, AC only
- Current clamp, 0.1 A - 1200 A, for Tektronix Power Analyzers, AC only
- Replacement lead set for Tektronix Power Analyzers (One channel lead set)
See Accessories datasheet # 55W-29381-0 for more detailed descriptions.